Monday August 7, 2006

Weekly Wrap-up 2006_31

The weather was nice this week, just the way summer should be. There's a light breeze at home and it's warm, but not unpleasantly hot, in the Valley where I work.

I managed to get the web server working properly on the FreeBSD box at the Job - I can run cgi scripts (but not PHP) out of my home directory (because it's symlinked to the htdocs dir; user directories (public_html) don't work). It took a while and configuration was weird but, after a bunch of trial, error, and fiddling, things do work.

I installed a personal copy of TWiki as an OS-independent notebook.

This was my 8th week in the Job.

As I was about to get on the train Tuesday morning, I realized that I didn't have my Company ID badge! It had popped off the holder. Gack.

I decided that I wasn't going to miss the train to look for it. It would either be in the car or someone would have found it and turned it in or...I'd worry about that in the afternoon.

So, when I got to the Job, I took a detour past "Mission Control" to request a temporary badge for the day. They kept my drivers license all day "as collateral". Wow. No company has ever done that before. I wonder if it's something with this Company or a "Homeland Security" thing.

The Good News: I asked at the BART "office" when I got home in the evening and yes, someone had found my badge and turned it in. Hoorah.!

In the evening, we had dinner in the City with a friend we haven't seen in a while. She graduated form College this past May and has started a job as a clerk / secretary / all-round helper person at a smallish law firm in SF.

It was a day for losing things. I managed to leave my spare car key at the chiroprator's office (between work and dinner) and our friend left her cell phone and favorite pen in our car when we drove her home. But we found the phone and pen and drove back into the City to return them, and the chiropractor found my key and Rich picked it up the next day after lunch.

I worked from home again on Friday. Soooo much better than a 75 minute (one way) commute and a day spent in a noisy office with people nearby constantly chattering. The group I'm in isn't bad, actually, but the people in the next aisle over make a lot of phone calls, and I'm near a conference room used for video meetings. Yugh.

Not only was Friday a good work day, but Saturday was calmer and nicer because I didn't have to rush about and get stressed the day before.

I managed to catch up on my journal and my weblog. I was really behind. I've decided that this proves that the murder mysteries I read are definitely fiction. The prosecutor asks "Where were you on July 23, 2003, at 7pm?" and the witness answers. The witness never replies "Are you kidding? I don't remember where I was last Tuesday. I can't remember what I ate for dinner last night!"

Not only did I catch up, but the cats joined me, flopping out in my office as I typed. Bliss. Pure bliss.

This week I read half of False Premises, by Leslie Caine. I liked the previous book in this series and other books by Leslie but I just can't like this one. The protagonist argues and picks fights too often for my taste. Maybe she's under stress, but I don't need to be.

In between and around the rest, I've had almost enough naps and plenty of snuggles with the cats. There have been good meals and interesting conversations with Spouse and friends. I've had a few chats with my Dad; Mom is still busy.

Onward and Upward.

Weekly Wrap-up 2006_31 ( in category Gemisch/Gallimaufry ) - posted at Mon, 07 Aug, 23:32 Pacific | «e»