Sunday March 28, 2004
Treasures are positive things that strike my fancy, things that make me feel happy or thankful or interested, things that are worth remembering. Treasures are memories encapsulated in just a few words.
My treasures for the past week include
- The dark purple lilac is starting to bloom.
- Raven lounging in the lawn.
- A giant Easter basket on top of the See's Candy building, complete with colored eggs and rabbit. It's not inflatable; I wonder where they store it the rest of the year?
- More flowers in bloom - tulips, African daisies, myrtle, roses, day lilies ... and the white lilac is abundant, ebullient, exuberant, exhilarating.
- Just Smell the Air! Day and night (camellias smell best at night) it's more Spring perfume.
- 6-oz (half height) Coke cans; aren't they cute?
- Recognition and a nice comment from another regular at Joe's regarding my Two Cents entry in Friday's Chronicle!
- A lovely Sunday afternoon drive down I280, one of the Bay Area's most scenic freeways. Today it certainly lived up to its description, as the hills are still green and lovely. We saw several horses in the pasture (and a few cows), a redtailed hawk sitting on a fence, a ground squirrel (sitting on a different fence), and quite a few California poppies.
- Some happy plants at Foothill College, including a patch of hot pink ice plant worshipping the sun, more California poppies, and a wonderful bush (about 15 feet tall and as broad) covered in yellow hibiscus-like flowers. The bush was labeled as a "Fremontia".
- Rob and Barbara Diceley's Wild Cat Adventure program; this time they brought a Canada lynx, a king cheetah, a caracal, an ocelot, and a leopard. Yummm.
- The fact that these beautiful cats still exist (although in greatly reduced numbers) and that people like the Diceleys are working in conservation, outreach, and educational programs so that people like me can see the cats and appreciate them (and really understand what we could be losing).
- Fresh fruit, dipped in Brown Cow maple yogurt. Yummmmmm.
- Our new vacuum cleaner; it Really Works!